[Alpine-info] incoming collections (and not)

jason-alpine-info at shalott.net jason-alpine-info at shalott.net
Mon Jan 2 00:15:35 PST 2023

> - in the incoming folders I have two external sites

> Gsuite {imap.gmail.com:993/ssl/novalidate-cert/notls/user=...}

> RCM {pop.retecivica.milano.it/service=pop3/user=...}

> - in the normal collections I have one

> "All Gsuite" {imap.gmail.com:993/ssl/notls/user=...}[[Gmail]]/[]

> The curious thing is that when, after having just started alpine, I type

> L to go the collection list screen (usually to navigate to other local

> collections)

> This asks the Gsuite password (but not the RCM password).

There are two (potential) things going on here.

1) You have a folder collection defined. In order for Alpine to see
*what* folders exist in that collection ("Spam", "Bin", etc), it has to
login to the server and issue the command to list out all those folders;
otherwise, it can't show you the list of them, because it doesn't know
what they are.

You have a folder collection defined for Gsuite, but not RCM, so Alpine
needs to login to Gsuite, but not RCM.

2) The other issue that may be in play (not in your case, but adding this
for archive-searchers from the future...) is that Alpine can optionally
show you the number of new/unseen messages in each incoming folder. In
this case, again, it would need to login to the server and issue a search
in order to find out the number of unseen messages.

I have a very similar situation: my main inbox and folders (which I check
often) are on a local (extremely fast, no auth required) server; but I
also have an inbox/folder collection that I check much more rarely, and
which is on a very slow, remote system. Literally 99% of the time, when I
hit "L" to go to the list of folders/collections, I only want to see the
local, fast folders, but I have to wait the extra time for Alpine to auth
to the slow, remote server and then list out the folders there.

I often think that I would love a way to only display the folder
collections that live on the same server as the currently opened folder.
So when I'm in my local inbox and I hit "L", it only shows me the local
folders. To see the other inboxes and folder collections, I would hit a
different key.

-Jason