[Alpine-info] Alpine and GMX mail

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Fri Jan 27 19:28:15 PST 2023

Blind using Alpine - Continued

As I previously mentioned, blind users who previously used gmail got hit
with a ONE, TWO punch with Alpine.

First, gmail needed a application specific password but it seems that this
must be done in a graphical user interface which is beyond many (but not
all) of blind users.

I've been trusted by some to obtain their application specific password.

So far so good.

Then Alpine changed to require a long password to even open the
application, this is another complicated process to remove it, I've guided
some through the process which isn't too difficult for those who can see,
but if your blind it is a challenge.

Some of the users have moved to gmx.com mail but that's what I'am writing
about today.

I have a pinerc file that can read (at least) the INBOX, I cannot see the
other folders but the INBOX is visible.

BUT I canno send mail!

Here's the line I have in pinerc.

smtp-server=mail.gmx.com/novalidate-cert/ssl/user=USERNAME at gmx.com

I get the ERROR "Mail not sent: bad sequence of commands"

I found this suggestion in this lists archived that I should put this in.
Customized Headers = From: "fName lName" myaddress at gmx.com

But that didn't work, and I couldn't put FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME because
alpiine rejected this it says "no spaces allowed".

Anyone have a clue?

He needs to use gmx until I get Gmail working in Alpine and I'm getting
close to doing that

Regards,
David