[Alpine-info] attachments and ms defender - ideas?

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Thu Jul 20 10:41:06 PDT 2023

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023, superaorta at gmail.com wrote:

> Since I hook emails off the outlook server before the scans take place

> (but end up reading them after the scans have completed) I only receive

> the preview link (which is dead by then because the scan is complete).

If I understand you correctly, you are downloading messages out of the
outlook server while the scanning process is happening. If this is the
case, you are seeing that your actions and those of the server are
incompatible, and one has to stop so you can resume handling your email
properly.

Fortunately I do not have this issue, so I would not know how to stop in
on the Outlook side. My hunch is that this is an administrator decision
pushed on you, and you cannot disable it, so the only thing left to do is
to change your flow of work. Here are some suggestions that you can
explore:

1. Be selective about what you download. If your tool to download message
allows filters, create one to not to download everything and only what you
are ready to read.

2. Filter messages upon delivery. If messages have attachments, send them
to a special folder. Then manually check messages in that folder and
download them through a different process that you download those from
your inbox.

3. Do not download and erase the message in the server, but download a
copy of it and keep track of what you have downloaded. Then use a tool
that can syncrhonize what you have downloaded and needs to be deleted. If
the tool is smart, you can delete a message from your local folder and
make your tool re-download it when needed.

I hope this helps.

--
Eduardo