[Alpine-info] attachments and ms defender - ideas?

superaorta at gmail.com superaorta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 03:25:18 PDT 2023

This might be a dumb question so please be patient!

My mail provider via outlook has turned on ms defender attachment scanning. If I understand this correctly emails are delivered immediately but attachments are scanned off-line. In the immediate delivery the attachments are replaced by a link to a "preview". If the attachments are found to be "safe" then, in outlook, these preview links are replaced by the attachment.

Since I hook emails off the outlook server before the scans take place (but end up reading them after the scans have completed) I only receive the preview link (which is dead by then because the scan is complete).

I can't be the only person to have encountered this...

Any idea how to deal with this situation or to turn this behaviour off? I realise this isn't an "alpine" problem per se and just a problem using alpine against a dumb idea/policy but I'm stuck with it and need to work out a way around!