[Alpine-info] Sudenly, a rule doesn't work.

Dennis Davis dennisdavis at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 25 09:23:38 PDT 2023

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> From: Carlos E. R. <robin.listas at telefonica.net>

> To: Alpine info <alpine-info at u.washington.edu>

> Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 13:38:30 +0200 (CEST)

> Subject: Re: [Alpine-info] Sudenly, a rule doesn't work.

> On Sunday, 2023-06-25 at 11:45 +0100, Dennis Davis wrote:

> > On Fri, 23 Jun 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> > > And suddenly, today it fails:

> > > [full text search not supported]

> > > Is there something I can do?

> > > It is a gmx.es account.

> > Long shot: if this is an IMAP account, the following option on the

> > INBOX/Folder specification might help:

> Yes, it is IMAP.

> > Loser

> > This option makes sense only for IMAP servers that do not

> > perform a SEARCH command correctly. If your filtering rules fail

> > to filter some messages, that should have been filtered, then

> > this option will make Alpine download all data necessary data

> > to perform that search. There is a performance penalty when

> > using this option. Downloading the data to perform the search

> > will take longer than requesting the IMAP server to perform the

> > filtering, but the filtering will be done correctly.

> AH!

> Another alternative could be using "imapsync" /somehow/. I haven't

> yet though out how.

If you want bi-directional synchronisation between two IMAP servers
you'll need to use something like isync:

http://isync.sourceforge.net/

and, of course, the second IMAP server needs to be capable of correctly
handling the SEARCH function.

> I then should create a second Alpine instance, with different

> configuration file, to use the filter. Do you know if this is

> possible?

Yes, alpine will take the config file to use as a command line
argument:

-p config-file Use config-file as the personal configuration file
instead of the default .pinerc.

so you can set up a specific configuration file -- .pinerc-gmx --
for this particular case and then set up a shell function or shell
script for ease of use. Something simple like:

alpine-gmx () { alpine -p ~/.pinerc-gmx "$@"; }

as a shell function should suffice.

This might seem a little crude and basic. However I suspect it'll
be easier than getting two separate IMAP servers synchronised.
--
Dennis Davis <dennisdavis at fastmail.fm>