[Alpine-info] Sudenly, a rule doesn't work.

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Sun Jun 25 04:38:30 PDT 2023

On Sunday, 2023-06-25 at 11:45 +0100, Dennis Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> And suddenly, today it fails:

>> [full text search not supported]

>> Is there something I can do?

>> It is a gmx.es account.

> Long shot: if this is an IMAP account, the following option on the

> INBOX/Folder specification might help:

Yes, it is IMAP.

> Loser

> This option makes sense only for IMAP servers that do not

> perform a SEARCH command correctly. If your filtering rules fail

> to filter some messages, that should have been filtered, then

> this option will make Alpine download all data necessary data

> to perform that search. There is a performance penalty when

> using this option. Downloading the data to perform the search

> will take longer than requesting the IMAP server to perform the

> filtering, but the filtering will be done correctly.

AH!

Trying now.

incoming-folders=...
"imap Gmx L" {imap.gmx.com/tls/user=myname at gmx.es/loser}INBOX,

Yes, the filter runs significantly slower, but it runs. Opening the folder
seems as fast as always.

I was contemplating as alternative doing the filtering in Thunderbird,
where all the messages are cached in local disk,

Huh, sorting by threads (K D) is very slow now (the folder has 3200 posts
or so). Minutes.

Ok, I may then define the inbox twice, one using "loser", and another not.
One for using the filter, and another for normal use.

Another alternative could be using "imapsync" /somehow/. I haven't yet
though out how.

Interesting. I have now:

incoming-folders="...
"imap Gmx L" {imap.gmx.com/tls/user=me at gmx.es}INBOX,
"imap F Gmx L" {imap.gmx.com/tls/user=me at gmx.es/loser}INBOX,

And the sorting by threads on the second one is fast.

Wait, things are strange and interesting.

If I restart Alpine, then open first "imap Gmx L" and later "imap F Gmx
L", sorting is fast, and filtering fails. On both folders, subsequently.

If then I exit Alpine, then open first "imap F Gmx L" (the loser version),
then sorting is slow and filtering works. On both folders, subsequently

It seems Alpine merges the second used configuration of the folder.

I then should create a second Alpine instance, with different
configuration file, to use the filter. Do you know if this is possible?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from openSUSE 15.4 x86_64 at Telcontar)