[Alpine-info] Sudenly, a rule doesn't work.

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 12:41:26 PDT 2023

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I have been, for years, using a select messages rule in some accounts.

> I do, once inside the folder:

[..snipped..]

> And suddenly, today it fails:

> [full text search not supported]

> Is there something I can do?

> It is a gmx.es account.

There have been follow-ups with work-arounds. I wanted to comment on
the sudden change.

I assume they've switched their IMAP serving infra and sadly this will
now always be slow unless they change back or can configure full text
search in their new infrastructure.

If you happened to be keeping the alpine debug logs it might show the
point where the server ident changed.

I would contact them as it's possible it's just a tick box on whatever
service they're using. They might be using an off the shelf imap daemon
on their own servers, or might be white labelling a 3rd party service
like MS.

It's not impossible it was an oversight. OTOH your own sync so a local
more capable imap server if you are okay constantly running one, will
undoubatbly be fast and useful in its own ways.

Best wishes,

- Damion