[Alpine-info] Sudenly, a rule doesn't work.

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Sun Jun 25 14:12:37 PDT 2023

On 2023-06-25 21:41, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> I have been, for years, using a select messages rule in some accounts.

>> I do, once inside the folder:

> [..snipped..]

>> And suddenly, today it fails:

>>      [full text search not supported]

>> Is there something I can do?

>> It is a gmx.es account.

> There have been follow-ups with work-arounds.  I wanted to comment on

> the sudden change.

> I assume they've switched their IMAP serving infra and sadly this will

> now always be slow unless they change back or can configure full text

> search in their new infrastructure.

> If you happened to be keeping the alpine debug logs it might show the

> point where the server ident changed.

No... I don't have alpine logs.

I have imapsync logs, but maybe a year old. They might show a server
software change.

> I would contact them as it's possible it's just a tick box on whatever

> service they're using.  They might be using an off the shelf imap daemon

> on their own servers, or might be white labelling a 3rd party service

> like MS.

No, they are a big email provider, this is intentional. They are very
thick headed, I know from the times I had to talk to them.

For instance, lately, I got a virus on the mail, undetected by them. I
reported it, an on the feedback they kept using a book of recipes for
the answers and talking about how to handle spam instead of malware.

> It's not impossible it was an oversight.  OTOH your own sync so a local

> more capable imap server if you are okay constantly running one, will

> undoubatbly be fast and useful in its own ways.

They never supported full search. The problem is that now some headers
(List-Id=...) are now excluded from the search on headers.

Oh, I don't do a sync. I just use sync software to move old mails now
and then to my own local server. So for the daily mail I use their
server on several machines.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.