[Alpine-info] reply from "To:" Address iff recognized

jason-alpine-info at shalott.net jason-alpine-info at shalott.net
Sat Mar 18 17:52:03 PDT 2023

> I note that it isn't working for me for messages from mailing lists, but

> I will need to see whether it is related to how I use fetchmail as part

> of my incoming mail flow.

It's not because of your fetchmail, this is expected (unfortunately).

In the case of a mailing list, the "To" field has the mailing list's email
address, not your email address. It's delivered to you, but none of the
To/From headers mentions you ("From" is the sender, and "To" is the list
address). So it's expected that this feature wouldn't catch it -- unless
you add the list address to your Alpine Setup->Config as one of your
Alternate Addresses. But note that this would have some other effects,
which you may or may not want; so it may not be your best option.

The other option you can use is Roles. You can create a role in
Setup->Rules->Roles, which gets invoked if certain conditions are met.
To set the From as the address you have subscribed to a list, you could
create a new rule, set the sole condition as Participant == list-address
(this covers the case where the list address is in the To or the Cc), set
the action as change the From header to your address that's subscribed,
and then (optionally) tell it to use the role without confirmation for
replies and forwards.

The advantage of the latter approach is that it gives you much more power
and fine-grained control -- you can use lots of different conditions to
invoke the role, and take lots of different actions in response. The
disadvantage is that you have to create each rule explicitly, in advance.
For email lists, that you subscribe to one-at-a-time, this is probably a
reasonable trade-off.

The advantages of the former approach are that it is simpler; you can use
wildcards/catch-alls, so a single rule can match many addresses; and most
of all, it conveys the actual semantics of the situation to Alpine --
i.e., if I own jason.com, and I have routed all inbound mail for
@jason.com into my inbox, then I can use these config settings to
basically let pine "understand" that ${ANYTHING}@jason.com _IS_ me, and
then stuff like replies, index behaviour, etc, all work the way that you
would naively expect and want.

-Jason