[Alpine-info] Signing with S/MIME. [SOLVED]

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Sun Nov 19 12:46:37 PST 2023

On 2023-11-19 21:10, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2023, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> And today I have noticed that my email is not listed in the

>> certificate, despite me asking for it. That could be the reason.

> That is certainly relevant. S/MIME certificates are meant to verify the

> email address, not people. Sure, you can verify people besides email

> addresses, but the only thing that you can reliably certify is the email

> address in a S/MIME message. I think you should pursue that line.

Will Alpine fail to find a certificate if inside it doesn't tell the
mail address?

Well, the chaps at
snews://news.individual.net/alt.comp.software.thunderbird

tell me that the problem is the missing mail address in the certificate.
Sigh. I remember filling the forms with the email address, yet the
government officials did not include it :-/

Pity the library doesn't spell out the true problem. The certificate
manager at Thunderbird should tell so.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.