[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Sun Nov 26 14:10:55 PST 2023

Carlos E. R. sent this but the web interface for gmail choked on his
message because he signed it with pgp.

To work, application specific passwords are necessary for both mutt and
alpine, Carlos E.R. explains how to get these, however mutt has the ability
to use oauth credentials which alpine doesn't seem to have yet. Many
people have gone over to mutt for this reason.

Here's what Carlos E. R. sent:

I use Alpine to receive or read email (for sending I use Postfix in my
Linux machine). I am on version 2.26, so I'm confused by you claiming you
use version 2.5

I do access gmail account, but perhaps not the way you are thinking off.

I do not now how to write a step by step howto, sorry.

The first step is to get an Application Password.

<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en>

Create & use app passwords

Go to your Google Account.
Select Security.
Under "Signing in to Google," select 2-Step Verification.
At the bottom of the page, select App passwords.
Enter a name that helps you remember where you'll use the app password.
Select Generate.

<
https://www.zdnet.com/article/gmail-app-passwords-what-they-are-how-to-create-one-and-why-to-use-them/

Once you have such a password, you can add the mail account in Alpine and
just give that application password when asked.

This is a sample configuration:

"Gmail" {imap.gmail.com/ssl/user=YOURACCOUNT at gmail.com}INBOX

This way you do not have to use OAuth2, which is a complication.

The sending part I don't know how to handle in Alpine (because I do it
using a Linux system daemon), but the trick is giving it the application
password.

HTH, and others may fill in the holes.

- --
Cheers