[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Sun Nov 26 13:57:17 PST 2023

El 2023-11-26 a las 16:26 -0500, Karen Lewellen escribió:

> Currently uses alpine to access their gmail account.

> A bit of context

> I experience sight loss, with basic html my only direct access to my gmail

> account..which has been removed as of last Monday.

> I use my gmail account personally and professionally, its lost is quite quite

> quite a situation for me.

> There is an associate in Toronto who is aiming to provide an email setup,

> configuring alpine to access gmail, but he has never configured alpine

> before.

> As I experience sight loss, and have only accessed my gmail account via the

> web interface, I need to

> 1, be sure what I am told should happen here incorporating imap is what I

> expect,

> and 2, insure my associate has correct information, all of my alpine access

> is via dreamhost, and they do not configure alpine well.

> My associate is using Alpine 2.5, which I recall has a tool that allows one

> to authenticate to gmail, but I am seeking someone with direct experience so

> this gets done to the best of Alpine's ability.

> If you are personally doing this, Can you please write me off list?

> I absolutely positively do not have the emotional capacity to gamble here,

> hoping to connect Ron with someone who knows what they are doing.

> klewellen at shellworld.net

> thanks,

I use Alpine to receive or read email (for sending I use Postfix in my
Linux machine). I am on version 2.26, so I'm confused by you claiming you
use version 2.5

I do access gmail account, but perhaps not the way you are thinking off.

I do not now how to write a step by step howto, sorry.

The first step is to get an Application Password.

<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en>

Create & use app passwords

Go to your Google Account.
Select Security.
Under "Signing in to Google," select 2-Step Verification.
At the bottom of the page, select App passwords.
Enter a name that helps you remember where you'll use the app password.
Select Generate.

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/gmail-app-passwords-what-they-are-how-to-create-one-and-why-to-use-them/>

Once you have such a password, you can add the mail account in Alpine and
just give that application password when asked.

This is a sample configuration:

"Gmail" {imap.gmail.com/ssl/user=YOURACCOUNT at gmail.com}INBOX

This way you do not have to use OAuth2, which is a complication.

The sending part I don't know how to handle in Alpine (because I do it
using a Linux system daemon), but the trick is giving it the application
password.

HTH, and others may fill in the holes.

- --
Cheers