[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Sun Nov 26 22:33:06 PST 2023

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> To work, application specific passwords are necessary for both mutt and

> alpine, Carlos E.R. explains how to get these, however mutt has the

> ability to use oauth credentials which alpine doesn't seem to have yet.

> Many people have gone over to mutt for this reason.

oauth is deprecated, because it is insecure and Alpine never supported it.
Alpine supports oauth2, which is widely deployed. You can login to Gmail,
Outlook, Yahoo!, and Yandex using Alpine.

Google requires users of mutt and alpine to get their own client-id and
client-secret, so we are in equal footing there.

For outlook, Alpine uses a universal client-id and client-secret for the
device method, and users choose to use Thunderbird's client-id and
client-secret for the authorize method. Mutt users also seem to be using
Thunderbird's id and secret. No difference there.

For Yahoo!, alpine uses a device-like method, and I do not think mutt
users can use mutt to read their Yahoo! email, but that might be my
ignorance.

For Yandex, users can use the given id and secret and do not need to get
their own. Mutt users probably need to do that.

Alpine has had oauth2 support for years now. Feel free to spread the news
as you see fit, or do a search in your favorite search engine for "xoauth2
alpine" to find how to configure it to login to the above named sites.

I hope this helps.

--
Eduardo