[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Thu Nov 30 09:38:29 PST 2023

Karen and all,

I am also concerned with loosing Google html search page but one for
duckduckgo.com exists. I include everyone in my message who could benefit
by any changes that increase accessability to all.

Most of the people that I am working with that are having the most problem
are those using console line interface (CLI) and who often never have a
graphical interface (GUI) installed.

Most have changed their email program to mutt but they very much miss the
features available in alpine like its address book and ability to access
newsgroups.

Some would like to use emacs and gnunews (spelling?). That's beyond my
knowledge.

One of the problems they are having is with Gmail, they've managed to get
an application specific password, and can use alpine by using an old
version which does not have the master password, but Google has changed the
way email is displayed, what used to be the default was the INBOX of their
email, but now they have to change folders to one labeled Gmail and inside
there they have to select the folder with the new email.

It seems that it would be possible when configuring alpine to have a switch
much like the one that creates the ability to use the pinepass file.

The default would continue to be as it is now but the user could decide to
use the less secure method of accessing alpine if they wished.

Kind regards,

David Ring