[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Thu Nov 30 13:22:42 PST 2023

Hi, thanks for joining the discussion.
A screen reader at its most basic is a talking monitor.
The reason why w3c.way states that progressive enhancement design is most
inclusive is because, much like parts of our body, changing technology that
largely serves as an extension of or substitution for a bodily function is
not always feasible.
add that while such tools exist, the cost, training, and configuration is
not standard or in some places in the world even available.
voice browsers use basic html I am told, so do braille displays.
It provided a clear and in order presentation, allowing for ease of
navigation.
In standard gmail elements are often spoken, out of order, with confusing
patterns that sort of thing.
And this is not just a blindness related problem, working with a small
screen o a small phone is a problem too.
All the coverage I have read media wise about Google's removal of basic
html indicates how valuable the choice is for everyone.
Removing choice of how you read your email, how it gets presented?
How has the world moved on from needing options on the table?
I just thought of another population, those with learning disabilities
who use highlighters, again in order. standard does not often present
well for those tools.
What really made me personally angry?
Google stated to the media that removing basic html would happen in
January 2024.
Imagine my surprise on November 20th to find my basic html door
closed..entirely.
I could not even log in, with the body I have using the tools working best
for the combinations of disabilities I experience to so much as generate
an app password for Alpine.
That google thinks the world has moved on is a fit excuse for this change
is frankly quite reprehensible.
You are not providing adaptive tools, or training..you do not even read
your own accessibility list.
Kare