[Alpine-info] Seeking someone who..?

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 14:24:13 PST 2023

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Hi, thanks for joining the discussion. A screen reader at its most

> basic is a talking monitor. The reason why w3c.way states that

> progressive enhancement design is most inclusive is because, much like

> parts of our body, changing technology that largely serves as an

> extension of or substitution for a bodily function is not always

> feasible. add that while such tools exist, the cost, training, and

> configuration is not standard or in some places in the world even

> available.

If I understand correctly, you agree more advanced screen readers exist
but that they're expensive or hard to get? I personally am a Linux user
and I very much doubt they'll work unless I'm lucky with `wine`.

I sympathise with the position but as I mentioned before, there are
costs involved, and solutions provided which are believed to be
adequate.

> voice browsers use basic html I am told, so do braille displays. It

> provided a clear and in order presentation, allowing for ease of

> navigation.

I admit I'm not an expert but AIUI there are html5 standards for a11y with tags not even supported by older
browsers, but that are supported in modern ones with modern screen
readers. Those might be Mac/Windows only, mandate a GUI and might be
expensive.

If it's truly the case that they all prefer plain html sites, this is
sad and I can add to my todo list an action to try and ping somebody in
the gmail team...

[snipped]

> Removing choice of how you read your email, how it gets presented?

This is why IMAP is good, and IRC rather than a web based chat app and
Usenet news in a newsreader. Again I sympathise and come from this
world, but free services aren't easy to fund when billions of people
just want to use Whatsapp and Chrome...

> Google stated to the media that removing basic html would happen in January

> 2024.

> Imagine my surprise on November 20th to find my basic html door

> closed..entirely.

As per the other thread I'm not sure it's actually gone yet. Also I'll
try and find somebody to ping when I get to my todo list item.

- Damion