[Alpine-info] ALPINE: [O365] Email Setup: Seems to be difficult

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Tue Mar 26 18:43:49 PDT 2024

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024, Brian S. Baker [VIA BBUS] wrote:

> I just wanted to post to the list to ask if there is any way to make it

> easier to set up alpine using office365 Email.  When I follow the

> instructions

> from: https://alpineapp.email/alpine/alpine-info/misc/SettingXOAUTH2Outlook.html

>  I end up getting either an error,

What error do you get? If the error is that the connection to localhost
failed, the screen in Alpine tells you to enter the full url to alpine as
the code.

If this is not the error, then I cannot guess it with the limited
information you provided, so please provide useful information such as
error messages.

> and I have to go to azure and mess around with codes and tokens, or I

> get a login screen that says to login, and it gives me a place to sign

> in and when I do I get the screen that tells me that I will be giving

> alpine permission to do [insert permissions that it says here] and I

> click OK.

> Then it tells me that alpine is logged in, and I can close the browser.

> when I return to Alpine, I get the indication that I have a collection

> for Office 365 email, but when I go to "INBOX" there is NOTHING there.

> (Just a BLACK Screen, and it appears I am connected to my inbox, but

> can't see any mail in it.)

That does not sound like an error in Alpine, but again, I cannot tell
exactly because I do not know how you configured alpine. To learn more
about the error look at the debug. Once you see an empty inbox press M J D
9, to set up the debug level to 9 and look for the lines that say "IMAP
DEBUG". They will tell you what conversation Alpine had with the server.

I use Alpine every day with IMAP, I can use it with Google and Microsoft
using XOAUTH2. I know it works, and so do many people that I have helped
to set it up. If you want to contact me offline to debug your issue
further, go ahead.

--
Eduardo