[Tweeters] Old Sam Peabody

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 17:48:42 PDT 2023

The same thing happened in our yard in the Maple Leaf neighborhood of Seattle. Last winter we had two White-throated Sparrows through the winter, from 3 November-12 April. This winter the first one we saw was on 5 November, then a second one a few days later, then on 27 November, Scott Ramos and I saw THREE birds at the same time. Subsequently I haven’t seen more than two at a time, but they were both still here two days ago, a very bright white-striped and a much duller tan-striped that didn’t look much brighter than an immature. And at least one of them just started to sing.

Prior to last winter, I had seen a total of 5 White-throated Sparrows in our yard in 30 years, all in migration: 7-8 Oct 1995, 6 May 2002, 22-24 Sep 2010, and 5-8 Oct 2020. Of course I realize that two of the birds this winter could well be the same birds that stayed here last winter, but in any case, there has been a real change in the status of this species right here.

Are they wintering farther north because of climate change, as Steve Hampton has documented (notwithstanding that it snowed a bit this morning!)? Or are a larger number of them coming down the Pacific coast than used to be the case?

Dennis Paulson
Seattle