[Tweeters] Carkeek Wigeon

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 20:53:23 PDT 2023

For more than a week now there has been an interesting mix of wigeon at the
beach at Carkeek Park in northwest Seattle. There have usually been just a
couple dozen or so wigeon in total, but among the flock has been a male and
female Eurasian Wigeon so it's a good opportunity to practice identifying
female Eurasian Wigeon. The female is usually one of the closest birds to
the male so that can be helpful in spotting her.

There is also a hybrid male American x Eurasian Wigeon that is much less
obvious than most hybrids I've seen. The most obvious feature to me has
been the gray sides, though after looking closely there are a few rusty
feathers on the back of the head. There are pictures of both Eurasian
Wigeon and the hybrid included in these eBird checklists:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S132341303

https://ebird.org/checklist/S132102715

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill