[Tweeters] Osprey observations

byers345 at comcast.net byers345 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 10 17:07:35 PDT 2023

Hello Tweeters,

Bill and I were at the Northern Pacific Ponds near Cle Elum this
morning. As many of you will know, there is an Osprey nesting platform high
on the hill above the ponds, right next to I-90. In fact, you can see the
platform as you drive east on I-90. Two days ago, we had driven past the
platform and seen nothing. Today we actually went to the ponds, despite the
rain. While we were there, at least 3 and possibly 4 Ospreys flew in from
the east, calling and flying around over the ponds. Finally, two landed on
the nesting platform and copulated.

So we might have actually seen these birds arriving from the
south. What I wondered was if Ospreys waited until they arrived at their
nesting site to copulate? It makes sense, I suppose. Bill got pictures of
what I think might be a male and female Osprey and then the copulation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29258421@N07/albums/72177720307399465

I'd be curious to know if Osprey do wait until they arrive at a nest
location to copulate. Thanks, Charlotte Byers, Edmonds