[Tweeters] Subject: Harlequin Duck

Dee Dee deedeeknit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 17:10:03 PDT 2023

I believe it could well have been a Harlequin. Years ago I saw my first WA State Harlequin duck, a female with a couple of ducklings, on a swift-moving creek in the Cascades (up near Monte Carlo, I think, in summertime—rather too many decades ago) and once saw a small group of them on Puget Sound.
The most I ever saw at one time was a large congregation, while looking down at the sea from a sea cliff in Iceland (c. 1981).
So anyway, they have been here in WA and hopefully some still are. I saw that the WA Dept of Fish and Wildlife has posted a note on their species description page for these ducks, requesting anyone seeing this species please share the observation using their (linked) WDFW wildlife reporting form. They note there have been declines in wintering numbers on the Sound.

Nice sighting, Tomas, especially when so cooperative.

Dee Warnock
Edmonds