[Tweeters] Southwest Washington Birding

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 23 21:26:33 PDT 2023

Hey Tweets!

I spent a few days down in the Southwest Corner doing some birding, just arriving back home today. The spring arrivals have been a little delayed, but the weather wasn't all that bad, so there was some good birding to be had.

Highlights:

Skamania County: Mountain Bluebird at Hamilton Island at the far end of the Strawberry Loop. Ruffed Grouse and Dipper aren't all that unusual for the county, but still fun finds along Wind River Road. I picked up a few doves for my year list along Belle Center Road (Mourning Dove and Band-tailed Pigeon), including a stop at Wilson Cady's place to watch his feeders.

Clark County: Quick-ish walk at Steigerwald, nothing out of the ordinary, but I enjoyed a FOY Greater White-fronted Goose, and Cinnamon Teal.

Cowlitz County: Even quicker drive of Willow Grove, where I struck out again on Rough-legged Hawk! 3 reported there the day before. I also birded briefly at Ditch No. 6, where I had a singing, but not seen, White-throated Sparrow.

Wahkiakum County: Early Hammond's Flycatcher at Julia Butler Hanson yesterday, and a few shorebirds today, including Least Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, and a Dowitcher (sp?) that was just too far out for my optics - all at the White-Tail Trail. Black Phoebe, Brown Creeper, and singing Townsend's Warblers near the headquarters entrance. Swallows (Barn, Cliff, Northern Rough-winged, and Tree) were found at the entrance pond as well.

At Andrew Emlen's place, I had Ruffed Grouse, American Dipper, Band-tailed Pigeon, Red-breasted Sapsucker, and a fine game of Scrabble. This morning, Andrew and I went down to Altoona/Pigeon Point, scoping for waterbirds (Pelagic Cormorant, Red-breasted Merganser, Common Loon, Red-throated Loon, American White Pelican, and GREAT EGRET), listening for passerines (Pileated Woodpecker, Cassin's Vireo, Wilson's Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler), and then booting up to tromp out to the mouth of Crooked Creek. The tide was out quite a ways, and we were able to find some early Whimbrel, numerous Greater Yellowlegs, and some Black-bellied Plovers.

Lots of good progress towards the goal of seeing 150 species in each of those four counties for the year: Skamania is up to 94, Clark 102, Cowlitz 107, and Wahkiakum way out in the lead with 115. 🙂

Happy birding!

Tim Brennan
Renton, WA