[Tweeters] DUNLIN deaths at Bottle Beach

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:00:34 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,
Myself and a number of other birders have observed 10-30 Dunlins in bad shape or dead at Bottle Beach. I was there Friday 4/21, and heard from other birders 4/22. Affected birds were lethargic, tremoring, falling over, tilting to one side, flying to one side or circling, and then deceased birds. To my veterinary eyes they looked “vestibular”. Lin Stern plans to report WDFW, I’ll run it by my avian doc at the clinic. I suspect either a contagious infection or toxin. I don’t recognize it as Avian Flu, but that’s not saying much. Have a great weekend.
Happy birding,
Shep

Shep Thorp, VMD
Family Guy, Emergency Veterinarian, Birder
Browns Point, Tacoma
253-370-3742