[Tweeters] Westport Seabirds Pelagic Trip, April 22, 2023

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Fri Apr 28 13:54:31 PDT 2023

Our second trip of the year was a very successful one, despite some bumpy and rainy conditions. Fortunately, the rain stopped and the ocean at times was manageable. With 18 birders, 3 spotters and Phil and Chris, we headed for Willapa Canyon in Pacific County instead of more normal trip out to Grays Canyon. Phil decided this would be the best for our comfort because of ocean conditions. After arriving in the canyon, we were lucky to observe a working trawler, fishing for bottom fish. Lots of Black-footed Albatross and a crowd pleasing Laysan, were two of the highlights in this deep water.

Without describing our whole journey, other highlights and numbers follow: Greater White-fronted Geese-2505( large flocks), Pacific Loon-219(migrating, most in breeding plumage), Laysan Albatross-1, Black-footed Albatross-164, Northern Fulmar-3, Pink-footed Shearwater-3(just showing up from Chile), Sooty Shearwater-1074, Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel-16, Red-necked Phalarope-5, Red Phalarope-3, Long-tailed Jaeger-1(breeding plumage and our only jaeger for the trip. Often the rarest in Spring), Ancient Murrelet-2, Cassin’s Auklet-33, Tufted Puffin-3(breeding plumage, one on the water for great looks), Black-legged Kittiwake-1, Sabine’s Gull-4.

With some offshore winds, we encountered several miss-guided passerines out in deep water: Barn Swallow-2, kinglet sp.-1, Varied Thrush-1, Savannah Sparrow-1, Dark-eyed Junco-1 and perhaps not confused but maybe migrating over the water, 5 RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS! ( which kept buzzing the boat for miles). For our complete list for this trip, please visit our website.

Mammal highlights: Humpback Whale-2 and Gray Whale-1.

Many thanks to all the hardy participants on what turned out to be a fantastic trip! The rest of our scheduled trips are sold out for this year. Reserving a spot on a waiting list (in case of cancelations) is advised.
For further information on the pelagic trips, visit the website: www.westportseabirds.com.

Spotters for this trip were: Bill Tweit, Gene Revelas and myself. Phil and Chris Anderson were the boat personnel.

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA