[Tweeters] Samish Flats - today (jimbetz@jimbetz.com)

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Fri Apr 28 14:12:40 PDT 2023

Halllooow,

1) The small raptors were definitely NOT SEOW, wrong shape to the
wings and wrong flight pattern/flap speed. I'm still thinking
"Kestrels" since they were so small - wing spread of at most 12".
Pointed ends to the wings rather than broad sweeping rounded
wingtips, no white rump patch on any of them. And definitely
raptors - not some other type.

2) The "other" Bald Eagle nest is near the West 90, in the trees NW of
the parking lot. You can not see the nest from the parking lot but it
easily spotted as you go towards Samish Island on the road. Hard to
spot coming the other way unless you have a spotter riding with you.

3) I checked eBird and others reported Snows in Skagit County yesterday.
And I posted a picture of snows at essentially the same location -
last year on 6 May 22. So perhaps this won't be my LOS!
- Jim