[Tweeters] What is this bird?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Aug 2 08:22:26 PDT 2023

Hello all,

Everyone says "Pigeon Guillemot" ... I'm not disputing that ... but no
one has explained the color ... the bird I saw was definitely in that
light reddish-brown. I agree with all of the shape identifiers making it
a pigeon guillemot. But ...
I have gone back and played with the image using Elements and no matter
what I do with the saturation and/or the brightness settings the best I
can get it to is a light gray.
Yet every ID info image I can find shows the pigeon guillemot to be
dark gray or even black. ???

One person said to notice the Pelagic Cormorants in the pilings of the
Anacortes Ferry terminal. I did see cormorants ... but my ID has them as
Double-crested. They were on the pilings right by the ferry and also on
the pilings of the old cannery at Ship Harbor. Note the color of the
bill area in this picture ...

https://eamon.smugmug.com/Family-pics-from-jim/Birds-and-Stuff-from-Jim/n-4Cw3NF/Birds-Web/i-Zsx37pc/A

... however, I'm 'conflicted' about the ID because I did not detect the
crest in any of them (at either location). I did consider the
Pelagic ... but the bill area color got me to say "Double".

Your thoughts on either of these questions are appreciated.

- Jim

Quoting jimbetz at jimbetz.com: