[Tweeters] Online listing for other creatures?

Nagi Aboulenein nagi.aboulenein at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 09:00:05 PDT 2023

Hi Mary -

I’ve been looking into the exact same question, and I think it is possible to maintain such non-bird lists on iNaturalist. It now supports the notion of “Lists”, where you can add observed species or taxa without adding photos. iNaturalist will happily add to your list, and supply a photo of its own for the observation. For such personal lists, I’m not sure whether it adds the observed species to its public database, or whether that remains just your private list, but it seems to do at least what I need.

For example, I’ve started a list of fish and marine critters that we’ve seen in Hawaii here: https://www.inaturalist.org/lists/4413646-Maui-Fish---Marine-Critters