[Tweeters] ACFL - followup

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Fri Aug 11 10:48:55 PDT 2023

Hello again,

Not too long ago I asked about birding in the ACFL (Anacortes
Community Forest Lands) so here is my/our trip report:

1) The trails in the ACFL are all well marked. Most of the entrances
have a kiosk with a map and you can simply take a picture of that
with your smart phone and refer to it when in question.
2) We entered at the A Ave entrance and walked to the Big Beaver Pond
the South end of Little Cranberry and back out. It took us almost
3 hours but we were not attempting to set any speed records.
3) We had a guide - Bob Jepperson - who is VERY knowledgeable of the ACFL
and the owl population and has been going there daily for over a
decade. He has published a few books and I can recommend them.
4) We started in about 9:30, it was overcast at the time, and so we
didn't see a lot of birds. We did get to see some Wood Ducks and
Hooded Mergansers and got to hear a few ravens. We also got to see
a few snails, slugs, and red-legged frogs. Oh yes, and we heard
one woodpecker quite a ways away. The trees are large/tall/mature
so you are under their cover most of the time. Bug protection is a
good idea but depending upon the time of year and weather may not be
needed.
5) You can also go online to get/see the maps and other information.
6) The ACFL are multi-use trails. We encountered hikers, bikers, e-bikers,
and saw evidence of recent use by people on horseback. We did not see
or hear any motorcycles - but they are allowed on some (not all) of the
trails. Some of the trails are about a car wide (multi-use) and some
are pretty much single-track (often hikers only). It has been reported
that there are some violations of the rules but we didn't encounter any
Thursday.
7) The beaver ponds are actively in use. We didn't see any beaver this
trip but the ponds are densely covered by pond lilies at this time of
year. There are areas of ferns and also areas with skunk cabbage and
cattails. This is a MARVELOUS eco-system!

We -WILL- be going back to the ACFL and exploring other areas. Hopefully
we will get out earlier (say at 7:00am) and get to see more birds. The
Barred Owls have recently completed their child-rearing schedule so they
are less likely to be seen in the daytime than just a month or so ago.
The areas nearer to the ponds look very promising.

- thanks to all who helped us get started - and especially to Bob ... Jim

P.S. The area we were in yesterday was very close to where I played,
explored, and fished as a child ... oh so many years ago. Hence
much of the day "felt like home".