[Tweeters] Gulls on a hot tin roof

Martin Muller martinmuller at msn.com
Wed Aug 16 17:30:02 PDT 2023

Greetings Tweeters,

It’s time for the annual molt of flight feathers, and as in years past, gulls have started loafing on the rooftop of the CSR Marine building in Ballard (4600 block of Shilshole Ave. NW, NW of the Ballard Bridge).

As in years past there are about 1,000 gulls that use the roof. This morning I took a half hour to do a count.
98% of the gulls are California Gulls. A great opportunity to compare the (wide) variety in plumage colors in adult California Gulls.

There were a few (3) immature gulls (looked like California Gulls as well), and the remaining were large pink-legged gulls. From what I could see Glaucous-winged Gulls and maybe some hybrids.

That metal roof must get pretty hot in the afternoon. Most gulls are panting by then. Yet they persist. I marvel at how they apparently don’t burn their feet….

Cheers,
Martin Muller, Seattle
martinmuller @ msn . com