[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 8/16/2023

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 08:30:37 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

Around 35 of us had a great summer day at the Refuge with temperatures in
the 60's to 90's degrees Fahrenheit and Low -0'8" Tide at 12:30pm.
Highlights included displaying BAND-TAILED PIGEON over the Orchard and
Riparian forest, great looks of WARBLING VIREO along the west side of the
Twin Barns Loop Trail, numerous BANK SWALLOW foraging alongside hundreds of
BARN SWALLOW, continuing LONG-BILLED CURLEW on a strip of marsh plain on
the mudflats west of Leschi Slough and 100 yards north of the Nisqually
Estuary Trail or dike, and high count of SEMIPALMATED PLOVER on the
mudflats north of the McAllister Creek Viewing platform on the inside of
the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail.

Starting out at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook, we had nice looks of WOOD
DUCK and CEDAR WAXWINGS.

The Orchard was good for displaying BAND-TAILED PIGEON and MOURNING DOVE.
Both Chickadees were seen and numerous CEDAR WAXWINGS. Some of the group
got on an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and several YELLOW WARBLER were heard and
seen.

The Access Road along the fields was quiet. A few YELLOW WARBLER were seen
as well a few BANK SWALLOWS mixed in with the BARN SWALLOW. The group had
very nice looks at a female AMERICAN KESTREL, that was upsetting the
foraging swallows.

The west entrance of the Twin Barns Loop Trail was good for BEWICK'S WREN,
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, and numerous COMMON YELLOWTHROAT WARBLERS. The
Riparian Forest is a nursery for Waxwings, Goldfinch, and Common
Yellowthroats found most everywhere. We had excellent looks at two
WARBLING VIREOs at the twin bench overlook between the Access Road and the
Twin Barns cut-off.

The new dike or Nisqually Estuary Trail was good for CINNAMON TEAL, OSPREY
and NORTHERN HARRIER. The Refuge Maintenance Department has mowed the
perimeter of the fields and marsh in preparation for flooding and the
arrival of wintering waterfowl. Newly arriving waterfowl were observed
including GREEN-WINGED TEAL, GADWALL, and AMERICAN WIGEON. The lead part
of the group reported 3 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, but due to the falling
tide the following group were not able to relocate. The LONG-BILLED CURLEW
continues on a strip of marsh plain on the mudflats west of Leschi Slough
and about 100 yards north of the dike.

A high count of SEMIPALMATED PLOVER were located on the inside of the
Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail just north of the McAllister Creek
Observation Platform. As well good looks of LEAST SANDPIPER and WESTERN
SANDPIPER. Several GREATER YELLOWLEGS were observed along McAllister Creek
during the low tide. We observed a BALD EAGLE catch a Starry Flounder in
McAllister Creek and continue to have high counts of Bald Eagle on the
Reach during low tide. HOODED MERGANSERs were seen foraging and preening
in Shannon Slough.

On our return we enjoyed a nice mixed flocked of SWAINSON'S THRUSH, WESTERN
TANAGER, WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, Chickadee, and YELLOW WARBLER at the Northeast
corner of the Twin Barns Loop Trail and had good looks of two SPOTTED
SANDPIPER at the Nisqually River Overlook.

We observed 74 species for the day, and have seen 152 species for the
year. Mammals seen included Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Coyote,
Columbian Black-tailed Deer and Harbor Seal. Until next week when we meet
again at 8am, happy birding!

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Aug 16, 2023 6:14 AM - 3:54 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.538 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Sunny and temperatures in the 60’s
to 90’s degrees Fahrenheit. A Low -0’8” Tide at 12:30pm. Mammals seen
Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Coyote, Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Harbor
Seal, Douglas Fir Squirrel.
74 species (+3 other taxa)

Greater White-fronted Goose 2 Observed by Ken Brown, Rob Chrisler and
a few others in our group.
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 40
Wood Duck 7
Cinnamon Teal 3
Gadwall 2
American Wigeon 12
Mallard 25
Green-winged Teal 30
Hooded Merganser 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 6
Mourning Dove 2
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Virginia Rail 1
Semipalmated Plover 18 Counted as individuals on the mudflats just
north of the McAllister Creek Observation Platform on the inside of the
Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail.
Killdeer 2
Long-billed Curlew 1 One bird observed on a strip of marsh plain on
the mudflats west of Leschi Slough and 400 feet north of the Nisqually
Estuary Trail or dike. Bird was observed in this location all day from the
dike and the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail. Sometimes roosting and
sometimes standing. Photos taken.
Least Sandpiper 40
Semipalmated Sandpiper 2
Western Sandpiper 300
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 12
Lesser Yellowlegs 2
Short-billed Gull 1
Ring-billed Gull 200
California Gull 75
Glaucous-winged Gull 4
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 2
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 15
Larus sp. 400
Caspian Tern 3
Brandt's Cormorant 2
Double-crested Cormorant 30
Great Blue Heron 50
Turkey Vulture 1
Osprey 2
Northern Harrier 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 30 Probably more. Over 20 observed on Nisqually Reach
scanned from the Puget Sound Observation Platform, and many birds foraging
along McAllister Creek, Nisqually River, and over the entire Refuge.
Belted Kingfisher 2
Downy Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker 2
American Kestrel 1
Western Wood-Pewee 8
Willow Flycatcher 3
Warbling Vireo (Western) 2
Steller's Jay 1
American Crow 40
Black-capped Chickadee 10
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 8
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
Purple Martin 6
Tree Swallow 2
Violet-green Swallow 2
Bank Swallow 8 Probably more. Numerous singles and groups foraging
with over a hundred Barn Swallows over the tidal estuary mudflats along the
Nisqually Estuary Trail and the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail. Two to
three seen foraging over the fields along the Access Road.
Barn Swallow 150
Cliff Swallow 1
Brown Creeper 3
Marsh Wren 1
Bewick's Wren 8
European Starling 1500
Swainson's Thrush 5
American Robin 20
Cedar Waxwing 24
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 40
Savannah Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 11
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 Observed by Ken Brown and a few others in our
group.
Spotted Towhee 2
Red-winged Blackbird 40
Brown-headed Cowbird 10