[Tweeters] Pelagic, double-crested, or other?

Michael Price loblollyboy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 22:31:01 PDT 2023

Hey Tweets

Pelagic was my first thought, too: too skinny, too narrow-billed for even
young DCCO. But there's another mystery in this photograph: who's the
carcass the left-hand bird is standing on? Cold grey-brown feathers with
narrow white transverse banding, large enough that they belonged to a
medium- to large-sized bird. I'm probably missing something obvious but I
can't fit them to any seabird/shorebird species.

Given the obvious age of the remains, I wonder if outside of cormorant
breeding season, this platform might have been an eagle's butcher block.
Suggestions welcome.

best