[Tweeters] Semipalmated Plover, Fill

Darwin A. dovalonso at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 20:13:19 PDT 2023

At Hoyt Flats in Montlake Fill (UBNA) 3-5:30PM, Aug22, I saw what I'm
calling a Semipalmated Plover but for the color of its back.
It had a complete breastband (I conveniently saw a Killdeer near in time to
clearly distinguish #breastbands) , yellow orange legs and the correct head
& bill shape. However both Sibley and NatGeo show or describe its back as
brown, and this one was pale sandy grey. Cornell does show one that has the
same color that I saw. So, just the vagaries of colors in field guides?

I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a Least Sandpiper at Yessler Swamp
today, and as Sora (with less certainty, light was very bad, but the bill
shape looked spot-on) yesterday. I think shore birds are starting to come
through.

Thanks
Darwin

--