[Tweeters] Feds propose shooting one owl to save another in Pacific Northwest | The Seattle Times

Robert O'Brien baro at pdx.edu
Wed Dec 6 17:00:30 PST 2023

This didn't come out of the blue. It has aleady been going on for years.

>From this article:

*In four study areas in Oregon, Washington and northern California, killing
barred owls under an agency research study brought spotted owls to almost
stable populations, whereas in a neighboring control population, spotted
owl populations declined by 12%.*

One far-out option I've thought of is to have an open season on Barred
Owls, very similar to, say, ducks and geese, Goose shooting was allowed
during the time when the Dusky Canada Goose was under extreme protection.
There was a rigid checking system to guarantee (so much as possible)
Duskies were not shot, and hunters had to learn how to ID them.

When you think about it, this is not too different from protection for the
Kirtland's Warbler, wherein to this day (I'm pretty sure). Cowbirds are
regularly trapped and killed. Cowbirds are of course native american
birds, normally protected as with most of the other birds. They are just
easier to catch (by trapping) and dispose of.

Bob OBrien Portland