[Tweeters] So long, and thanks for all the egrets

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 19:46:16 PST 2023

Hey Tweets!

I am back in Renton after a couple days finishing up my Southwest Washington year. I went into the Wahkiakum CBC needing 3 more birds to get to 150, and finished it out with White-throated Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, and the biggest surprise - a Long-eared Owl! Beautiful day of birding, although East winds meant that some of the hoped for birds (loons, ducks, and grebes) were not pushed up the Columbia. There seemed to be Black Phoebes everywhere, and a couple of Red-Shouldered Hawks. And the best bird of the day year. . . Great Egret a dozen times over.

The CBC, and some Clark birding this morning (Herring Gull, Western Grebe), brought the final year lists to: Clark (152), Cowlitz (151), Skamania (151), and Wahkiakum (151). I'm hoping to do a 150 year for every county in the state eventually, and this helped a ton - bringing the total to 16. But. . . maybe not four counties next year? 😄

I'll update the blog once my feet are back underneath me.

Thanks to all of the amazing birders in those counties who helped along the way. Hopefully through eBird and the blog, I've left some good breadcrumbs for people hoping to explore the area.

Looking forward to hearing about the FOY birds in a few days!

Cheers,

Tim Brennan
Exhausted in Renton