[Tweeters] Shriner Peak (Mt Rainier National Park) - July 7th, 2023

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 10:34:27 PDT 2023

Good morning,

Friday (July 7th) I hiked about half of the Shriner Peak trail. Located in
extreme southeastern Pierce County, this trail actually isn't far from
Grove of the Patriarchs. It's considered to be one of the loneliest trails
in Mt Rainier National Park, and for good reason. Located just off of hwy
123, this trail is NOT for the casual hiker. Though not steep, the trail
offers a constant incline, with few flat spots, and is very narrow. I only
made it halfway up before running low on water, so I turned around. Please
note: Part of Stevens Canyon Rd is closed during the day from Mon-Friday,
which means a detour would be in order if coming from the Paradise area.
Highlights included:

SOOTY GROUSE: One heard booming regularly. Sounded pretty close to the
trail at one point.

NORTHERN GOSHAWK: One heard for several minutes. Calls were loud and
powerful - I don't think this was jay mimicry, which seem to usually utter
softer calls.

HERMIT THRUSH - The most common bird of the day. Mostly heard, only one was
seen, a juvenile.

NASHVILLE WARBLER - One, possibly two, heard singing about 1 1/2 to 2 miles
up the trail. This species looks to be a regular visitor and likely breeder
at various high elevation spots in far eastern Pierce County.

If anyone is up in the Chinook Pass/ Hwy 123 area, I'd recommend keeping an
eye and ear out for various bird species. Several eastern WA species, like
Pygmy Nuthatch and White-headed Woodpecker, have been recorded just a few
miles over the border in Yakima County. I don't think it would take much
for some of these birds to pop up in Pierce County, especially in late
summer and fall. eBird checklist below:

https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S143860256

Christopher Clark
Puyallup, WA