[Tweeters] Which Birds Eat Earthworms?

Doug Santoni dougsantoni at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 11:22:12 PDT 2023

Greg —

Earthworms are a favorite food of the American Woodcock (an Eastern bird, sadly not found in Washington). From timberdoodle.org:

When feeding, a woodcock probes with its bill into soft soil. Sensitive nerve endings in the lower third of the bill help the bird locate earthworms, its favorite prey. The woodcock is able to open the foremost third of its upper bill, or mandible, while the bill is sunk in the ground, helping it to seize worms and pull them from their burrows. The woodcock’s long tongue and the underside of the mandible are rough-surfaced for securing slippery prey.

Earthworms, high in fat and protein, typically make up about three-quarters of a woodcock's diet.

Doug Santoni / Seattle, WA / dougsantoni at gmail dot come