[Tweeters] Fwd: Avian AI of the evolutionary sort

Robert O'Brien baro at pdx.edu
Sun Jul 30 09:44:45 PDT 2023

I fotgot that Tweeters doesn't accept photos so this was originally
rejected. Here is the url which might work:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/jul/26/spot-the-difference-why-drongos-are-likely-to-clock-african-cuckoo-eggs-94-of-the-time?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=3428505134-briefing-dy-20230726&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-3428505134-47220256

See attached photo but I'll explain. An egg-parasitic bird has evolved
such extreme egg mimicry that it can lay an egg that is 'indistinguishable'
from the host's eggs, even though the host's eggs vary among individual
birds of the host species. BUT, the host is 'so smart' that it can still
reject virtually all of the imposters. But not all, so the parasite
persists. Equally amazing is that scientists have figured this all out.
Each group of 3 eggs is from a different host's nest; that is, two
different host birds and two different nest-parasites.
Bob OBrien Carver OR
PS I hope I got this all straight myself.