[Tweeters] Fledglings!

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Fri Jun 9 12:29:34 PDT 2023

Over here in my part of West Seattle, north of Lincoln Park, it is indeed fledgling week! In the bird area outside my study window, I have young bushtits and nuthatches galore. Here’s a video of a flock of 9 bushtits<https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/52959992682/in/dateposted/>, including at least 6 fledglings, enjoying one of my birdbaths, and another of a nuthatch parent trying to feed 4 frisky youngsters at once<https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/52940829420/in/photostream/>. I also have fledgling towhees, House Finches, and Song Sparrows, though not in quite such numbers as the others.

I think in my area, the crows are sufficiently distracted by the Cooper’s Hawks and the Barred Owl to not bother too much with the tiny nestlings. And the adult and fledgling crows also seem to find much more entertainment chasing each other.

Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
West Seattle
NaturalPresenceArts.com<http://naturalpresencearts.com/>