[Tweeters] June 3 Westport Seabirds trip report

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:33:57 PDT 2023

Hi Tweeters,

Totally limp flags and calm waters were a welcome sight as we gathered at
the *Monte Carlo* at Westport Marina for our Westport Seabirds pelagic
trip. After Scott's introductory talk and Phil's safety review (witnessed
by overhead calling Purple Martins!), we headed through the marina and out
to the open water of the bay with a beckoning open ocean ahead. The male
Harlequin Duck (1) in the marina was an unanticipated surprise.

Gray Whales were apparent in the waters between and near the jetties and we
tallied 8 of them! A few loons and scoters were still flying northward
including all three expected loons (22 Common, 23 Pacific and 55
Red-throated) and Surf (65) and White-winged Scoters (5). These soon gave
way to the triumvirate of Continental Shelf species - Rhinoceros Auklets
(76), Common Murres (100), and Sooty Shearwaters (457). A few phalaropes
were seen but they didn't want to be seen by all on board. Pink-footed
Shearwaters (102) soon appeared which were mingling with the numeros
Sooties and were easily distinguished by their heavier flight style as well
as obvious plumage differences.

Marine mammals are always fun to see and we were lucky to encounter a
school of perhaps 50-60 Pacific White-sided Dolphins (103) cutting through
the placid water fairly close to the *Monte Carlo*.

Another of the day's highlights came with the announcement of "murrelets in
view". I looked ahead and saw a Cassin's Auklet (99) and wondered what was
happening until I saw the two groups of four Ancient Murrelets (8). These
were two family groups - both groups were four murrelets in a line with the
adults bookending the line with the chicks in the middle. They were also
calling back and forth. This was a rare look at the domestic life of
Ancient Murrelets!

We motored ahead and at the appointed time, Black-footed Albatrosses (40)
appeared. Of interest was that many of the albatrosses were pristine young
birds showing no white over the base of the tail and just a thin white line
around the base of the bill and no discernable molt. Several flew quite
close much to the delight of photographers and birders alike! These were
joined by a few Northern Fulmars (15) and our first Fork-tailed
Storm-Petrels (69) and Sabine's Gulls (10). A single Short-tailed
Shearwater (1) was called out. A Mola mola was the only one that we saw.
Two Northern Fur seals didn't stick around for prolonged observation.
Cassin's Auklets were getting a bit more plentiful. We approached the edge
of the Continental Shelf but didn't encounter an active fishing fleet which
usually concentrates the seabirds so we headed on to the deeper waters off
the edge of the Shelf over Gray's Canyon.

With a stiffening northwest breeze, the chum slick worked its magic as
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels approached from the northwest as well as our
anticipated Leach's Storm-Petrels (30) which feed over deep water even
though nesting along the coast of the Pacific Northwest. We had great
opportunities to study flight style differences between these two species
as well as their quite different plumages. Black-footed Albatrosses
"wowwed" everyone on board as their 6.5 foot wingspans took them on some
pretty close flybys. Albatross at ten feet on the water is always a
magical thing too! Captain Phil eventually decided to head south on the
inside edge of the Continental shelf and it was a good thing that he made
that decision as we encountered many more Cassin's Auklets as well as an
incredible display of acrobatic Humpback Whales (20). For 15 minutes we
watched several of these magnificent creatures breaching out of the water
with an eventual memorable big splash of white water. Following this were
numerous tail slaps and flaps of their 8-16 foot long pectoral flippers.
It was easy to see why their latin name is *Megaptera novaeangliae* which
means "Big Wing of New England" although we'll have to modify that a bit to
reference Washington!

All good things eventually come to an end and Captain Phil pointed the *Monte
Carlo* towards home. A few Harbor Porpoise (4) were glimpsed quite a way
offshore which was interesting. A surprising flock of 46 Red-throated
Loons flew by the south jetty and an immature Black-legged Kittiwake senn
by several was a good addition to the day's experiences. A Steller's Sea
Lion (1) was basking on a buoy. Brown Pelicans and Brandt's and a few
Pelagic Cormorants coated the south jetty. A mixture of gulls lined the
outer harbor and Harbor Seal (20) heads bobbed in the marina. California
Sea Lions (2) rolled over to observe our entry into the marina and the end
of our trip.

Westport Seabirds thanks all of the enthusiastic participants who make
these trips a success. Also, thanks to Captain Phil and first mate Chris
and a shout out to our guides Scott Mills, Bruce Labar and me.

Even though the Westport Seabirds schedule (
http://westportseabirds.com/2023-schedule/) shows all trips as full, it's
always a good idea to get on a waitlist and hope.

I hope to see you onboard!

Jim Danzenbaker for Westport Seabirds.
--
Jim Danzenbaker