[Tweeters] Do hummingbirds drink alcohol? More often than you think: Flowers, backyard feeders likely provide hummingbirds with alcohol, thanks to fermenting yeast -- ScienceDaily

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 17:35:28 PDT 2023

Hummingbirds can be very picky. Their preference is for the red wines, the darker the better. In a pinch they well go for a rose'.

Actually many birds and mammals get drunk on fermented fruit. I have seen one rather soused Black Bear in Yellowstone and read about some buck deer that were blitzed. I read, a long time ago, about some drunk Cedar Waxwings "sleeping it off" by lying on a branch with the legs hanging down on each side.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors, Ecologists Without Borders http://ecowb.org/
Olympia WA
360-459-4005