[Tweeters] Do hummingbirds drink alcohol? More often than you think: Flowers, backyard feeders likely provide hummingbirds with alcohol, thanks to fermenting yeast -- ScienceDaily

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at protonmail.com
Sat Jun 24 18:02:49 PDT 2023

Dear Tweeters,

A bunch of birds got drunk at my feeders once. As a kid, I received a pamphlet from the NY State agricultural extension office, or whatever it was called. The paper explained how one could make a sort of scarecrow bird-feeder, dressing it up in one's old clothes. The idea was, after the birds got used to feeding on a human figure made of pieces of wood and adorned with clothing, one could take the feeder down, wash the clothes, put them on, and stand in the yard. Then the birds would just come and land on the person, thinking it was the same old scarecrow. I made the seed-holders out of some plastic tops that I took off some spent cans of spray-paint. I should have put drain holes in the caps. The seed fermented, and a few days later, all sorts of sparrows, chickadees, and other birds were lolling about in the back yard, plastered out of their avian wits. I took down the feeder and washed the clothes, as per directions, but I think the birds were so hung over that they steered clear of me, despite my garb.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.