[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Purple Martins

stan Kostka lynn Schmidt lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 30 11:59:18 PDT 2023

Hello Michael, Thanks for the observations.

If by “finished” you are suggesting fledged, I would be skeptical. Although possible maybe, this would be very early. It has been my experience that the early martin young here reach banding age (10 to 14 days) around mid July, and so would not fledge until the end of July at the very earliest. If the gourds remain inactive, I would expect nesting failure, if they did in fact lay eggs. Perceived inactivity at a martin nesting cavity this time of year very easily could be incubation. The earliest I have ever observed eggs here in the North Sound has been first week of June.

The snag nesters on the slough are noteworthy, and good news. Will be interesting to see if nesting there can be confirmed, by food carrying, fecal sac removal, or the presence of young at the cavity entrance. If so, it would be one of very very few snag nesters this far north.

Thanks again for posting the observations.

Stan Kostka
lynnandstan at earthlink.net <http://earthlink.net/>
Arlington