[Tweeters] follow-up on the feeding jays/crows question

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Thu May 4 07:21:50 PDT 2023

The other night at my webinar talk about birds and climate change we got
off on another topic during the Q&A: the potential problems of feeding jays
and crows, especially in spring/summer. I want to add a link here I didn't
get a chance to the other night.

The short story is that jays and crows are well-known nest predators,
taking eggs and chicks, especially of cup-nesters. This may be one reason
why we have so few cup-nesters in suburban areas. There are many studies
about this, most focused on endangered species but some on more common
birds. I summarized them at this blog post:
The maddening truth: Feeding crows and jays harms other birds
<https://thecottonwoodpost.net/2022/05/02/the-maddening-truth-feeding-crows-and-jays-harms-other-birds/>

There is a myth out there that I've heard several times -- that, by feeding
them lots of peanuts, we divert them from nest predation. I see the logic,
but it seems very doubtful to me. The research suggests otherwise, and my
own observation is that feeding them attracts a resident population to that
area. I suspect they likely seek a balanced diet, so will still go after
eggs and chicks. They seem to cache, not eat, most of the peanuts, saving
them for later.

Questions were asked about sunflowers and other types of feed. I don't know
those answers. In my experience, peanuts are the main attractor of corvids.
I don't use peanuts and see jays and crows rarely at my feeders. I also
curtail all but hummingbird feeders in summer after the sparrows leave.

good birding,

--
Steve Hampton
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)