[Tweeters] Nisqually - Wednesday Walk

Kenneth Brown kenbrownpls at comcast.net
Wed May 3 19:49:11 PDT 2023

Hi Tweeters
Today was another gorgeous day at the Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR. In the absence of our accustomed leader (Shep the Beneficent) 25 or so of us muddled on, consoled by the lovely weather and several FOY birds. We started off at the orchard where Bushtits were feeding young in their cozy sock, spotting Yellow Warblers and Western Tanagers, then reversed our usual route and followed the east side of the loop trail, hoping to get the Great-horned Owl we had last week, to no avail. Black-throated Gray and Wilson's Warblers, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo and Cedar Waxwings (the last two were heard only) made that loss less painful. A Bullock's Oriole was seen by a few in the Big leaf Maples by the Twin Barns. Ducks were lower in number, and shorebirds almost non-existent (with the exception of 17 Whimbrel and 1 lonely Greater Yellow-legs) along the dike and out along the McCallister Creek boardwalk. The list follows:

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
May 3, 2023 8:04 AM - 2:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.03 mile(s)
75 species (+3 other taxa)

Greater White-fronted Goose 5
Cackling Goose 50
Canada Goose 30 5 goslings
Wood Duck 2
Cinnamon Teal 2
Northern Shoveler 60
Gadwall 8
American Wigeon 30
Mallard 13
Northern Pintail 20
Canvasback 1
Ring-necked Duck 3
Surf Scoter 1
Bufflehead 100
Common Goldeneye 4
Hooded Merganser 2
Common Merganser 5
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4
Mourning Dove 4
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 6 2 female
Virginia Rail 1 Heard only.
American Coot 50
Whimbrel 17 3 on mud, flock of 14 more flew in, seen and counted by at least 5 birders.
Greater Yellowlegs 1
shorebird sp. 50 One flock, all uniform in size and coloring, looked to be plover sized. Gone before identified.
Short-billed Gull 36 Counted individually.
Ring-billed Gull 40
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 15
Larus sp. 50
Caspian Tern 6
Brandt's Cormorant 3
Double-crested Cormorant 2