[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - April 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Wed May 17 09:38:02 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

As of the end of April, the Edmonds 2023 year list is at 144 species. New species for the month are listed chronologically rather than taxonomically so you can see how migration began unfolding in Edmonds.

Caspian Tern (code 2), 3 at waterfront, 4-2-23.

Brown-headed Cowbird (code 2), 4 at west end Puget Drive, 4-8-23.

Osprey (code 2), 1 at Hwy 99 nest site and 1 at marsh (possibly same bird), 4-10-23.

Eurasian Collared-Dove (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 4-14-23.

Northern Rough-winged Swallow (code 3), 1 at Edmonds Lake Ballinger, 4-15-23.

Cliff Swallow (code 3), 1 at Edmonds Lake Ballinger, 4-16-23.

Black-throated Gray Warbler (code 2), 3 in Edmonds Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 4-17-23.

Red Crossbill (code 3), 1 at Interurban Trail, 4-18-23.

Say’s Phoebe (code 4), 1 at Edmonds Lake Ballinger, 4-21-23.

Purple Martin (code 3), 1 at waterfront, 4-21-23.

Whimbrel (code 3), 2 at waterfront, 4-22-23.

Least Sandpiper (code 1), 6 at Edmonds marsh, 4-23-23.

Wilson’s Warbler (code 2), 1 at Yost Park, 4-23-23.

Hammond’s Flycatcher (code 2), 1 at Yost Park, 4-24-23.

Common Yellowthroat (code 3), 1 at marsh, 4-24-23.

Chipping Sparrow (code 4), 1 at marsh, 4-24-23.

Western Sandpiper (code 1), 3 at Edmonds marsh, 4-25-23.

American Pipit (code 3), at Edmonds marsh, 4-25-23.

American Kestrel (code 4), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 4-26-23.

Pacific-slope Flycatcher (code 2), 2 at Southwest County Park, 4-26-23.

Mourning Dove (code 3), 1 at west end Puget Drive, 4-29-23.

Olive-sided Flycatcher (code 3), 1 at Pine Ridge Park, 4-30-23.

Other activity: Townsend’s Solitaire (code 3) appeared in central Edmonds yards on 3-26 and 3-30/23. One bird continued well into April and then there was another report from a north Edmonds yard on 4-18-23. A Western Meadowlark (code 3) was at Marina Beach, 4-19/21-23. There are now three Osprey nests in Edmonds: Hwy 99 cell tower near 228th, cell tower near Five Corners, and cell tower near Westgate Elementary School.

We declined to add Northern Harrier (code 3) to the list. One was ticked on an eBird checklist, by a birder who is unknown to us, in an unusual area with no description of any field marks and no photo. We continue to decline to add Herring Gull (code 4) to this year’s list. eBird reports from the waterfront omit descriptions of field marks or photos. Given how many mistakes are made with gulls, and how infrequently Herring Gull appears here, we will wait for an evidence-based report.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field for unusual Edmonds birds (code 3 or rarer), it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through April.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records