[Tweeters] Townsend's and Hermit Warbler songs

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Mon May 22 12:35:40 PDT 2023

Hello!

I would totally agree with everything above. I think it's great to get familiar with "typical" songs. They have been a great way to get zeroed in on birds of interest, but then it's just actually looking. I've watched some pretty pure-looking Townsend's Warblers singing a not all that bad Hermit Warbler song, or maybe it was vice versa? Usually, the birds will look at least mostly like they sound, if that makes sense. 😄 So yep. I love​ birding by ear, but am kind of done calling these birds down to a species by song when both are present.

-Tim Brennan
Renton