birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 2 14:42:57 PDT 2023

Tweets - The weather was pretty crappy today; dark and rainy until we got to the East Meadow when it cleared up a little but it became quite windy.  Mostly, the morning was an exercise in futility.  But at least it wasn't cold.

Highlights:
    Cackling Goose - 1500-2000, with many of them landing in the park
    Wood Duck - Seven in close to the Lake Platform; our only other duck species besides Mallard
    Merlin - One flew over the East Meadow in the brief moment between the rain and the wind
    Only 1 Finch - A single House Finch at the Pea Patch !
    Lincoln's Sparrow - One at the Pea Patch.  We hadn't had one since early September
    WESTERN MEADOWLARK - Two north of the road, north of the Viewing Mound.  First of Fall (FOF)

Yesterday afternoon, I went chasing the LESSER GOLDFINCH and AMERICAN TREE SPARROW that John Puschock had in the Pea Patch.  No luck for me yesterday, but I did have NORTHERN SHRIKE NE of the Viewing Mound (FOF) and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at the SW corner of the Pea Patch (FOF).  No luck on any of those birds today.

Species notably missed both days include Gadwall, Bufflehead, Western Grebe, Short-billed Gull, Downy Woodpecker, Bushtit, Cedar Waxwing, Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, and Red-winged Blackbird.

For the day, 45 species.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm