[Tweeters] Wednesday at Nisqually.

Kenneth Brown kenbrownpls at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 15:22:04 PDT 2023

Another cool fall day began at the Visitor's Center deck. The "pond" is now more of a damp field, with narrow channels holding water. Deer were browsing the vegetation casually in the center. It was mostly bird-free, other than a couple of Mallards in one channel. 16 people started out but grew to 24 during the day. We followed the usual circuit. All the usual suspects, but again this week we missed the Red-shouldered Hawk and Northern Shrike. A couple not associated with our group purported to have seen a Great Egret, but we were unable to locate it. Lots of ducks, still a variety of shore birds but no grebes today. The little extra jolts of joy were provided by two separate sightings of bright Townsend's Warblers, and at the end of the day, back at the Visitor's Center, the mink did a short tour of the dry pond before entering what must be his den closely followed (in time) by a Barred owl that landed out in the open 10 yards from us, giving us long looks from three different perches. The total tally follows:

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Nov 1, 2023 8:00 AM - 4:16 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Overcast with a bit of drizzle, calm and 45-53º F. There was a +14.2-foot high tide at 9:42 a.m., ebbing to a +7.8-foot low water at 3:19 p.m. Mammals seen included mink, Columbian Black-tailed deer, Eastern Grey Squirrels, Townsend's Chipmunk and Harbor Seals.
66 species (+7 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (minima) 2400
Canada Goose 2
Northern Shoveler 15
Gadwall 60
Eurasian Wigeon 1
American Wigeon 800
Mallard 120
Northern Pintail 875
Green-winged Teal 1500
Surf Scoter 15
White-winged Scoter 1
Surf/Black Scoter 40
Bufflehead 75
Common Goldeneye 2
Hooded Merganser 4
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Killdeer 1
Long-billed Dowitcher 43
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher 2
Wilson's Snipe 1
Greater Yellowlegs 20
Dunlin 50
Least Sandpiper 30
Western Sandpiper 5
Short-billed Gull 35
Ring-billed Gull 150
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 6
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 7
Larus sp. 100
Common Loon 5
Brandt's Cormorant 1