[Tweeters] Skagit County Survey Trip

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Fri Nov 3 13:26:50 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Just got back from a "survey tour". Here's what I saw today from
while driving
around from 10:30 until 12:30. And what we are seeing from our house.

****

Fir Island - no swans or snows anywhere. Also only one Harrier.
Two differentin
pairs of immature Bald Eagles. No adult Balds. No hawks. A few
ducks but not
many - all of this was in the fields and trees. I did not get up on
the dike at
either Hayton or Jensen - I did roll down the windows and listen at both (no
sound of geese). One large group of gulls in one field.

Skagit Flats - a few groups of swans, no snows, no raptors. A few ducks but
again not many. A few small groups of Mallards. A few groups of gulls.

Samish Flats (and the 90's) - swans in lots of places. No snows.
One pair of
immature Bald Eagles. One harrier. No owls, no other raptors. No ducks
except for one large flock flying in the middle altitude (probable teal?) near
Samish Island and moving towards the East/NorthEast. A few small groups of
Mallards. A few groups of gulls.

Butler Flats - a few swans, no snows, a couple of immature Balds. No RTH or
other raptors. (Our house looks down on the Butler Flats so when there are
large groups of birds we SEE them.) One imm Bald and one mature Bald in the
trees below our house. A few groups of gulls.

There were some RWBs at the East 90 - maybe 20 at most. I saw some large
flocks of blackbirds (probably Brewers?) on the wires of the Samish Flats.

I saw hunters at all of the usual places. Did not hear any shots anywhere.
Saw one hunter returning to the parking lot at the West 90 ... no birds.

****

My interpretations of the above observations:

1) Seeing the immature Balds is a good sign. This was the most of them I've
seen this fall. Still waiting on the other raptors and the SEOWs.

2) I'm 'still waiting' for the ducks to arrive. It's going to be raining.
That will make lots of puddles and ponds in the fields. Those are
usually filled with ducks.

3) I think "the action" is slightly, very slightly on an uptick. But still
a "promise" of good things to come.
- More in the coming weeks. Jim