[Tweeters] Skagit County Survey Trip

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Fri Nov 3 19:23:20 PDT 2023

Follow up observations ...

I did not see any Great Blue Herons today - this is rare for having
spent more
than 2 hours on the secondary roads of the County. Tide was high.

I was up river as far as Concrete last Thursday. We saw a few Bald
Eagles and
very few other birds. Drove Hwy 20 going East and a variety of "river roads"
coming back on the North side of the Skagit.

We are still seeing -lots- of passerines at our seed feeder. One or
two Anna's at the nectar feeder (just a month ago it was as many as 6
at a time). We'll have at least one Stellar's everyday - and a Flicker
or two about every two or three days. Almost every afternoon there
will be 1 to 3 doves on the ground below the seed feeder. "Lots" means
as many as 12 or more at a time. Mostly Juncos and Chickadees now, the
sparrows and finches have dropped off. Yeah, I know, this is just one
location ...

****

Additional interpretations:

I would say that the swans are here "in force". Mostly on the
Samish Flats.
The lack of Snow Geese (today) may mean they are just somewhere I
wasn't. Another would be that the numbers seen a week or so ago
were "in transit" to locations further South.
- Jim